Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Get Over It . . . and Make Some Guacamole

So I'm not going to talk about work . . . another than I really, really wonder if I shouldn't go in another direction . . . but I have to think about retirement and stuff.  And isn't that a downer?  When you are so old that you have to wonder if a career change is the right thing to do because of your retirement?  Because fourteen years is not as good as fifteen years somehow?

Anyhoo . . . yeah, I've been gone awhile but this is a good outlet and I would really like a book deal (in a year, thus not messing up that retirement thing) and I'm currently agoraphobic, so I might as well write things down.  Otherwise, I might be bored enough to leave the house and end up curled in a ball at Target due to a panic attack.  And although many of my co-workers openly talk about the amount of psychotropic drugs they are on to get through the day, I would like to continue the drug-free nature of my existence.  Darn those "back to school" sales starting in early July.

It is too hot to go outside and so I'm living on what food I can gather from my kitchen . . . and guacamole.  Much like my mother, I have a whole lot of food that cannot be combined to actually make anything.  And guacamole.  I have developed a love of making guacamole from scratch.  Mashing up avocado.  Chopping up vegetables.  Adding a serrano chile when I can find one.  This current batch has too much lime and not enough onion.  I have a very loose recipe, which I derived from some show that I caught ten minutes of on a Saturday morning.  Some very perky woman, who insists that Mexican food is easy to make.  I don't believe her, but the guacamole seemed doable with four ingredients.  Plus it is something to do with cilantro, which I grow on the porch and usually let flower because I don't use enough cilantro. 

And I tell myself that if I really, really wanted I could start a guacamole business because my guacamole is better than that hipster restaurant with the good chicken tacos (The Imperial, but I have to leave something to write about) and the Spider Monkey even says so . . . although he has not had this overly limey batch.  And that makes me breathe a bit more easily.  Even if I have to get fifteen years in for that retirement thing.

So tomorrow I have to shower and do something other than watch CNN and be depressed.  Because no one wants to hire a depressed person, even if they are up on current events.  I need to be the person I want to be, rather than the person I feel like right now.

No comments: