Saturday, April 12, 2008

Free Keychain with Every Outing

So I'm heading quickly into the birthday crisis (and at least I'm at least somewhat aware this time) and I don't really want to talk to anyone . . . one of those days where I want to wander an anonymous mall with an ipod plugged into my ears and sunglasses. But instead, I'm going to Stately Wayne Manor to do my taxes. Because I'm too cheap to buy Turbotax myself and what better way to celebrate not wanting to deal with people? Go deal with YOUR people.

"Eat before you come . . ." is what my mother advised me last night and I don't know if that is because they don't have any food in the house, or if she doesn't want me to buy something large, or both. My parents do have the greatest collection of food that cannot be eaten nor combined with anything else in the collection.

And yesterday, I made bead lizards with my cognitively impaired students . . . and it's the first time that my regular ed students have come up with something that I don't know how to make, so I made one too. Because I'm not going to get that knowledge anywhere else: How one makes a lizard keychain out of pony beads and lanyard cord. And I was going out with Princess after work, so I planned to give it to her.

When I did the unveiling at dinner, she made me laugh so hard that I could not breathe and she continued on the car ride home. What made me think that she would want such a key chain? Did she look like someone who has big key chains? Look at this key chain (she pulls out her "Brighton" key chain from her purse) . . . does this look big? No it's not. I can't carry anything bigger than this. And what would make you think that I would want a lizard? Do I look like I like lizards? What would the glitter mafia say if I had that key chain? Did you think of that?

Clearly, I did not think about the implications. And I still have a lizard keychain, lovingly made with cognitively impaired children, who are working on fine motor skills, socialization, patterns and making choices (green bead or red bead). If anyone wants it. Or if anyone "looks like a lizard keychain kind of person."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, it is princess' loss. I carried lots of key chains in my lifetime that were not my choice--some lovingly made by someone I cared about........life is tooooo short. Lizzards are cool!

Anonymous said...

I would have kept the key chain! I just would have put it on display (like in my office basement:) )
- Princess
ps. you got a great laugh out of it!

iamthanu said...

No, I laughed so hard that I couldn't breathe. Which was fun. And don't blame you a bit for not taking it.

Although, it is totally still available. :)

Anonymous said...

Oooh, oooh, *I'll* adopt it! I love lizards! And cognitively impaired children! And exclamation points! (However, Brighton gives me a rash, I have to say. Sorry, Princess. My beloved sister-in-law is a big Brighton fan, and I wanted to buy her something from there for her birthday because she'd taken me into the store and petted various things longingly, but I had the hardest time finding it because I'd randomly decided the store was called "Richardson." You know, one random last name or another. I was nearly reduced to googling "expensive shit with hearts on it")

-the other one