Wednesday, July 16, 2008

What? I Always Make Him Buy His Own Stuff

It was past 11 p.m. and we had reached the checkout . . . after going through produce, grocery, toys, h.b.a. and then grocery again (I didn't want my milk to get warm). And honestly, despite my three hour nap, I was waining. I hate being sick.

I placed all my items on the belt, quickly . . . without thinking. He placed all his items carefully, in groupings, how I usually do it when I do not know the person behind me . . . when I am not in a rush. I usually place things in the order that I want them to be bagged.

Our cashier was confused by the "place between orders" bar . . . we had used one cart. "So this is yours too?" she asked about the neatly rowed low sodium V-8. "No, that's his . . . "

The cashier thought this was hilarious. Funniest thing she had heard all night. His stuff. That was a good one. And how was I to explain? "We carpooled." Even more funny. And I guess one would assume that a couple sharing a cart, I don't know, would not being going to different places at the end of the evening. Here I was making him buy his own stuff.

He tried explaining, "It's just more fun to go shopping with someone else . . . more entertaining . . . I mostly entertain her, I guess . . . " And this statement is true. We did have a sword fight in the toy aisle.

The cashier is not convinced and we have amused her tremendously. I think we made her night.

No comments: