Tuesday, August 05, 2008

The Costs of a Staph Infection

I just received the insurance statement . . . although I may still owe some more . . .

For just the 11 visits to the infectious disease center? 10,000 dollars.



That's not with the dermatologist visits.

Ten thousand dollars. To see a doctor twice and for a nurse to spend five minutes poking me every day (only because it usually took them more than once to find a vein). Ten thousand dollars.

I think most of the costs were for the actual IVs, or the liquid contained in them (500 hundred dollars) . . .

But if I did not have medical insurance, or just "catasophic" insurance, I would never recover. My union is talking about going to "health insurance accounts" . . . ten thousand dollars is like, five years of that account.



So thank goodness that I have health insurance (a lot of people don't).

No comments: