Sunday, August 24, 2008

Worst Case Scenario

I went over my handlebars today.

Trail biking in Lake Shore Park . . . last mile and a half . . . a large rut downhill . . . I'm usually good on the downhill, but I fell last time and was perhaps too cautious this time. Felt myself being too cautious. Went down too slow and my wheel stuck.

Somehow ended up curled up in a ball. My knees hurt . . . badly . . . and I wasn't sure if I could get up. Before I got my wits about me a person further up the trail stopped to make sure I was okay. SM was ahead of me and hadn't heard me go down. I was lying there, considering the option of calling out "Christopher" loudly (my verbal sign that I am really hurt . . . I never call him that) as this woman, a stranger, questioned my status. This made me get up, as it is rather embarrassing to writhe in pain for a stranger. SM pulled up shortly, dusted me off, looked at my wounds (some abrasions on my right leg at that point . . . now a wicked bruise) and gave me a little hug . . . and then told me to get my ass back on the bike. Which is what I needed at the time. I hate the last mile of that trail.

Really, going over my handlebars WAS my worst case scenario . . . and now it's been done. I need to shop for that new helmet though.

So my right leg is rapidly becoming one large bruise . . . two large on my shin from earlier in the week from a pedal and when I fell and my leg hit a stump (from a rut going uphill that time) and my current injuries. I'm off the trail for at least a week.

I like the riding . . . it's peaceful, the woods are nice . . . but I find myself trying to keep up with SM, which keeps me from enjoying the peaceful . . . and keeping me from seeing things that I want to see. Like frogs. Or deer. Or just trees and dirt.

Trail riding takes a lot of concentration as it is, to stay on the darn trail and not run into trees or fall off your bike. And I am less concentrated when I am tired or pushing to keep up. So I have to work on not being so competitive. It's a single-track trail, so the boy will be at the end. And a relatively little park, so he'll hear me if I yell.

I do need to get a little backpack or hydration pack to keep my cell in . . . right now I keep it in his backpack, along with my ID. Which does me no good if he is ahead. Or any goodin the scenarios my mother comes up with concerning me and being in the woods.

Oh, and my neck hurts. And my left thumb.

No biking for a week.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You might want to add knee pads and shin guards to the new helmet!
Get a "bike shirt"--they look dumb, but have pockets on the back for your "stuff" like ID and Cell phone.

Anonymous said...

well that doesn't sound very fashionable, but at least you will be safe. drink some red wine - my solution to any injury! hope you feel better:)
- Princess

iamthanu said...

I would be hot in shin guards and knee pads . . . and not the hot as in attractive. Plus when I fall into the woods all the stuff would fall out of my pockets. I have a hard enough time now finding the water bottle. So little water backpack it is.

Biking season is almost over, I think. In combination with the fact that I now have to go to work. But yeah, next year, if I'm still trail biking, there will have to be an application of more stuff.

And thanks Princess! I tried Vanilla Porter instead. Not really helping this morning though.