Tuesday, December 02, 2008

I will not tie you to the chair

"So we can just get up and LEAVE?"

I have all new students and I now have to do the "class expectations" speech all over again.

"Yes, you are all young adults. I will mark you absent, of course. But I certainly won't stand in your way, should you decide to leave."

He had never considered this option before. Just getting up and walking out. And now that I had listed the consequence, which seemed minor, well . . . ah, the joy of working with adolescents.

So my voice is tired. I'm exhausted from trying to entertain these rascals and it turns out the most interesting part to them is that they can exercise a tiny bit of free will. Now, mind you, if the office catches them skipping, there are consequences other than being marked absent. And there are cameras all over the building. But the thought was very exciting.

Heck, some days I daydream about walking out myself.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yesterday I wanted to just walk out but today the urge was much less.