Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Resolution One

So my friends have pointed out that I can rationalize anyone's behavior . . . especially anyone's crappy behavior. I don't really like conflict and I do like to see other's points of view. But sometimes I will take that ability to see the other side and come up with excuses for people.

And people are very good at coming up with their own excuses, they don't need my help.

So 2008, is the year of not being so goddamn nice.

Don't get me wrong . . . I know I do not outwardly appear nice. And niceness has it's place in the world. I will still be kind to small children and puppies. I will not stomp on flowers. I will still offer my seat to old ladies and tell someone if they have toilet paper on their shoes. That nice still applies.

But I need to stop making excuses for people. I need to recognize that sometimes people are just in "it" for themselves. I need to stop doing things for people when I would rather have some quiet time. I will put other's needs before my own . . . and I want to work on that.

So resolution one: Not being so goddamn nice

Princess: You're nice . . . but I don't know if you make goddamn nice . . . I mean, I'm goddamn nice. I think you are just nice.

Resolution 1.5: go eat coney island, right now, before writing out any more resolutions.

Mmmmmm. Coney Island.

No comments: