Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Resolution Three

I have to say that resolution one and two are not going so well . . . especially resolution two. But no matter. It's really not about instant success, but that you keep working on things. So to bed early this evening.

Oh, and why am I blogging at 11:47 am? What are the children doing, you are asking yourself? I had to take the day off. Doctor's appointment.

Which brings us to resolution three . . .

My boss said at the beginning of the year, and I quote, "Have fun, or go home." Which is not really a current philosophy in education. It is also very hard to do when one works in education, because there is so much un-fun AND most of your job is to keep anyone from having any fun. Being on task? Not fun. Doing any work? Not fun. Not listening to your ipod or wearing your coat? Not fun.

I have a sign in my room that states "Absolutely No Fun Allowed" and I am only partially kidding. I made it during a meeting where the other adults discussed whether or not the students should be allowed to carry water bottles in school. Water bottles. Bottles with water in them. And we had to use "educational research" to help make our decision . . . hydrated brains think better, you know. Never mind that we even give our pets a supply of water during the day. Oh, and by the way, this was the third or fourth meeting discussing this topic.

So basically I work in a system set up to control people and make sure that they don't have any fun. So for my boss to very seriously tell me to "Have fun" or leave my job, well . . . unless I'm a control freak sadist, I'm not sure it is possible. Unless we start treating the student body more like thinking human beings. Or they stop making all these damn rules.

Anyhow, the resolution is, I'm going to start my day at 3 p.m. Work is work. I don't have to have fun there. In some ways, I shouldn't have fun there. Checking attendance reports? Unfun. But once 3 p.m. rolls around, I need to take more advantage. Instead of going home and vegging out on the couch or playing on the internet. Because you have a limited amount of time on this planet, no use wasting it all.

And yes, I know that resolution three and resolution two could conflict quite a bit.

Streetlight Manifesto this Friday. According to my brother, who did host a ska radio show at one time, the best ska band going right now. Haven't bought tickets yet, so let me know, I'll pick one up when I get mine. Auto show press days starting Sunday . . . so then I can blog all day. Cause it will be "working". So quite the cool week.

No comments: