Tuesday, November 13, 2007

See? Tongue Lesions!

I just read the insert for the medication that they had to special order for me at the drugstore and it says, and I quote:

"The mechanism of action by which amlexanox accelerates healing of aphthous ulcers is unknown."

It then goes on to talk about in vitro studies . . . and how it seems somehow to deal with inflammation. "Aphthous ulcers" would be canker sores. I do not have those. I have either Hand, Foot and Mouth disease (also called coxsackie virus, which is fun to say) or Shingles . . . but only in my mouth. Sounds lovely, doesn't it? My close friends and family love it when I show them, which I do often by sticking out my tongue as far as I can. "Thee? Ny ton ih gost."

Of course this is only a tentative diagnoses. Evidently, a best guess scenario from the medical profession. If it doesn't clear up in seven to ten days I have to go in and try again.

It all started with a sore throat. Simple enough. Sore throat and a headache two Saturdays ago. Inconvenient because I was putting up insulation. And I was tired. Very tired.

And the sore throat got worse. To the point that I went to see a doctor. During school. I left work to go see a medical professional. Almost never happens with me. And she looked at my throat for three seconds. She did a strep test. It was negative. She said it was a virus and that I should go to bed. Give it 7 to 10 days. That was Tuesday.

Wednesday I shivered in bed and slept.

Thursday, it felt like I had burnt my mouth with all the tea I was drinking. The roof of my mouth was swollen. My tongue felt burnt. So sore throat and mouth pain. Thursday evening, I did a lot of swishing around of salt water. A Mr. Crabbypants trick.

Friday I had a red spot on my tongue. I figured since it was cut and I rubbed salt in the wound. I started the antibiotic the doc gave me "just in case". Then two spots. Saturday different spots. But no sore throat. Sunday different spots but they were more ugly. And I couldn't eat. My mother nudged me until I went to the urgent care (another blog entry altogether) and that is where I got the HFMD or Shingles of the mouth (or allergic reaction, maybe . . . whatever, if it doesn't go away then go to the doctor again) diagnosis.

"So can I go to work?"
"Are you going to spit on anyone?"

So I haven't really eaten in going on four days (not really true, I had mac and cheese this evening) but I can have vanilla shakes. HFMD is only supposed to happen in young children but yeah, my body is weird, so maybe. My mouth is much better than Saturday. But I would like to remember when I didn't have to pay attention to my tongue all the time. M1 says people pick it up all the time in Indonesia . . . from escalators. And 7-10 days is coming up.

I'm just really afraid about it not clearing up in 7 to 10, because that means biopsies. And that means cutting chunks out of my tongue. So let's just hope I get better. And hope all the people I have kissed have really good adult immune systems. (the rest of you are in little danger, unless I spit on you, which I haven't) (yeah, yeah, the forms all say really contagious . . . but you haven't been changing my diapers and I haven't been drooling on you . . . )

So I get a new dentist out of the deal.

So yeah, sorry, I'm gross. With gross things. And weird gross diagnosis. Could be worse, I suppose. Maybe.

And I am so getting a hamburger when this is over.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I still love you but come one with the grossing me out. I am worried about you accidently drooling on me or when spittle comes out of your mouth.

Anonymous said...

Ugh, I'm so sorry! L. had cocksackie when he was 1 and we kept referring to it as "the cocksucker virus." He got blisters on his hands and his lips and his nose, and his response when things hurt was to rub his blistery little hands on his blistery little lips and nose which made everything hurt more, and the whole thing was quite hellish. I hope you get over it soon. I was going to complain to you about the flu/laryngitis thing I have (I was tempted to teach my class this morning in semaphore) but your disease is much nastier . . .

-the other one

iamthanu said...

Yes, don't I always just get the weirdest diseases?

And when exactly have I "accidentally drooled"? Because I would think that would be NEVER. At least not since I've been thirty or so.

Sorry about L and the blisters . . . I don't have those. Just cute little spots on my tongue where the taste buds have fallen off and a sore hard palate. No blisters on my paws.

And sorry about your flu. That sucks.