Thursday, June 26, 2008

No Really, It was Tasty

Last night (and yesterday, I guess, there was some prep) I made flank steak with chimichurri sauce, roasted sweet potatoes and green beans with blue cheese. Served with a rather good bottle of wine, considering what I paid for it.

AND I didn't follow the recipe for the chimichurri sauce . . . I kind of combined three, as all the recipes I looked at were completely different so I figured that it didn't really matter.

I ended up with . . .

one cup cilantro (packed) from my front porch . . . I mostly took out the stems, which I didn't really have to do
2 cloves of garlic, minced . . . the least amount in any of the recipes I looked at . . . one had 8 to 10 heads . . . not cloves, heads
6 tablespoons and a splash balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 teaspoon salt
some pepper . . . looked like a half teaspoon
some red pepper flakes . . . was shooting for 3/4 of a teaspoon
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin

It was enough to marinate the steak and still have some left over in a custard cup. Very tangy. The sweet potato I "brushed" with olive oil (dumped in a bowl and tossed) and then sprinkled with salt and pepper. I think one of the vegetables I bought, thinking it was a sweet potato was actually jicama, as it looked exactly like a yam until I cut it . . . and then it was white. I cooked it anyway, thinking that I had green beans as a backup. And we threw away most of the white stuff (SM doesn't like sweet potatoes anyhow, so it was just enough). The green beans I steamed and then mixed with butter and lime juice, with blue cheese crumbles on the side. The wine was Columbia Crest, Two Vines, Vineyard 10 from Washington State, which I believe I paid under $10.00 for at the Holiday Markup.

And it was a very "homemaker"y day . . . got up early, made the sauce . . . did laundry, made an apron, watched Martha Stewart while sewing, vacuumed, cleaned the tub, made some more food and had to time everything to 7 pm.

And after dinner . . . SM was bemused by the fact that I was excited that I had made a whole dinner that was somewhat edible, if not tasty.

I so want a dishwasher and a dining room now.

Oh, and a moth flew out of my closet and now I'm panicking about all things yarn related. May have to freeze everything . . . which will mean that I have to go out and buy a freezer.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cedar! Blocks, Balls, or if you are really paranoid, get the cedar bedding for pets--and open it and place in the closet....
Your clothes will smell like a hamster cage, but no moths!!

iamthanu said...

Blocks are already in . . . hadn't thought about hamster bedding. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

You are awesome with the cooking. Maybe I can cater you for my next affair.