Sunday, September 02, 2007

Ummm. . . Go Blue?

I was careful. I only had two bloody mary's. One of which had gotten pickle juice on a program. And they are serious about their programs (I mean who buys programs?). So I was on edge about that.

There were pancakes and sausage . . . cooked on a grill. At we started drinking at 9 a.m.. But when in Rome. There were interview in front of the car for the BigTen Network. (I might be in the background of Friday Night Tailgate) The car is like a big tourist thing. Her family owns the "Michigan Beetle" and parks it next to the stadium. (I thought there would be a picture on the web, but evidently there are a lot of beetles in Michigan that are actually insects)

The seats were awesome. Michigan stadium has 72 rows below the entrance. And then there is row B and row A. We were in row B between the 40 and the 35. Close enough to see the players sweat. Close enough to hear the coaches talking.

It was hot. And they were playing Appalachian State. So it was assumed to be an "easy game". Like playing Michigan State.

But it wasn't an easy game.

Princess left me during the fourth quarter, to go set up the tailgate again. So I watched the upset alone. And I got wrapped up in the football. Not who was playing . . . just the game. And I cheered and yelled.

Michigan fans are very different than Michigan State fans. Michigan State fans are used to losing. It's just a game. We drink. We watch. If we lose . . . so what? So more about fun. Because we used to losing.

And I haven't been to a game in a long time. So it was hard to adjust to cutthroat die hard fans. Fans who "boo" their own team if they make a bad play. Fans who are cranky when they are not winning. Cause Michigan State fans would have to be cranky most of the time . . . unless they were watching basketball.

And I have to say . . . because less people will yell at me here, in this blog . . . ASU played better ball. It wasn't good luck. They played a better game.

As I was walking out of the stadium, alone, I congratulated every Appalachian fan I saw. Why not? They were so excited. This had made their year. Heck, made their next two years. They had beat one of the best teams in the nation. On that team's turf. And they reminded me of how insanely excited Michigan State fans get when we somehow win against Michigan. There is that half an hour of shock . . . and then just pure honest exuberance.

To their credit, every Appalachian fan I congratulated looked at me funny. And then I realized I had a Michigan shirt on. But I felt like the representative of the State of Michigan. We could be gracious. We could be good losers in this state. We could appreciate a good game.

Even if we did have on the wrong shirt. (smile)

(I would like to thank Princess and her family for having me. Their hospitality was overwhelming and they always make me feel welcome at their family events. And I'm sorry about the game.)

(Oh, and it's Princess's birthday . . . I think on Tuesday. Send her gifts.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you came. My family loves you:) Next time, it will be a win!
- Princess

hud said...

*mmmphhhpppphhh* HA-mmmmppphhhtt*