Saturday, March 03, 2007

Do for Me

"So what do you want a man to do for you?"

I was asked this yesterday by a very sincere, earnest boy, who is dating my best friend. He is in love. Totally, unbashedly, in love. And like most people in love . . . he wants everyone else to feel like he's feeling. So he is trying to set me up.

And I was totally taken aback by the question. Do for me? I don't want anyone to do anything for me. Maybe that's my problem? Or his slip of the tongue . . . he really just wanted my list, the list of what I am looking for. And I have forgotten all about my list. Seems it only takes a month off to forget totally and be at a loss for words.

When I was in my twenties, I thought I had men all figured out . . . I worked at an all boys' school, with primarily male teachers. My thought was that the male brain was simple. Linear. There were clear established patterns. Food. Sex. Money. Power. But now, after this week, not so sure that I have it figured out. Well, actually, I know that I attribute more emotion and thought to what is there. But it never occured to me . . . men like to do things. They are doers.

Hmmm. . . so what do I want a man to do for me? Sounds so . . . put on your loincloth and get go me some bison.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't prefer bison, although it is healthier than beef. I do, however, enjoy a good footrub. :)

Anonymous said...

And changing the oil, putting air in the tires, although not a "need", is nice! Kinda feeds their macho thing!