Friday, March 16, 2007

Tide Envy

I religiously use two kinds of laundry detergent. Tide Coldwater for darks . . . and there are a lot of "darks" because otherwise my heart would have to be a different color . . . and Tide "Clean Breeze" for everything else. I do not trust the cold water stuff for everything, because whites, well, I just can't wash them in cold. Warm maybe, but not cold.

I was hooked on the "Clean Breeze" scent stuff by my sister, who proclaimed it's goodness a couple of years ago in the middle of the Target. Been using it ever since.

So last weekend, in a rare Target clearance browsing sister event (as she now lives in K-Zoo and I get speeding tickets going to K-Zoo) I mentioned that the clean breeze stuff was hard to find.

"Oh, I use the purple cap stuff." in a tone like she had used it forever.
"Purple cap stuff?"
"Yeah, the frebreze lavender stuff."
"You changed Tides?"
"I don't know. I picked it up one day. It smells good."

Now just to clarify, I don't think I'm the kind of girl that goes for persnickety detergents . . . I know that deep down (or maybe not so deep down) I am that kind of girl. But I don't like to admit it. So using a specific kind of Tide because my sister said it smelled better, somehow negated the fact that I couldn't just buy regular stuff. And we won't even go into my brand loyalty problems . . . that's from my mother. If they stop making Tide? Well, I'll just have to persistently buy new clothes.

"But you told me the clean breeze stuff smelled good . . . "
"Yeah, this stuff smells better."
"So purple cap kind? Cause I only bought clean breeze because you endorsed it."
"You buy Tide because I say so?"
"Well . . . yeah."
"That's so weird. I had no idea I had so much power . . . over your laundry choices."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

To elaborate / clarify...
I use the Febreeze "Spring and Renewal" - and there is no lavender involved (except for the cap color). Bought a year ago due to the allure of the Tide brand and the orange target clearance sticker - to which we are genetically programmed to search out in all shopping situations. Anything but Tide makes me itch just thinking about it (Thanks MOM!).

"The SISTER"

iamthanu said...

Well, thank god! I might have made the wrong purchase . . . and been terribly unhappy. :)

I really do copy her purchases.