Monday, March 28, 2005

Almost Dirty

So I just wrote out this post and it disappeared. . . so here I go again. I made the mistake of reading the eharmony old man's propaganda. You know, the one with the glasses who talks on the commercials like a combination of your grandfather and a minister? With the Mister Rodger's haircut and smile. Of course he would help you find your soul-mate (and talk to puppets about manners, but that's another show folks). So I read this Q&A about being too picky and the bad part of my brain says, "hey, you're too picky . . . let's follow his advice" which I should just know to shut down that part of my brain but I don't. So then the next step in eharmony is to "communicate" by picking five of these prefabricated questions. (think prefab houses . . . the questions are about as good) So I send these questions to all my matches on a Monday afternoon . . . despite my resolve to follow the "rules" and let the matches make the first move to overcompensate for my personality profile saying that I am so very assertive.

I found myself wanting to write my own multiple choice question to send to these engineers:

What do you really think about these questions? They are:
a. very informative . . . I can tell a lot about a person simply from the questions they choose.
b. innane . . . really could these questions be any more trite?
c. rockin dude . . . cause then I don't really have to think.
d. expected . . . you are paying to meet people, if you were good at it you wouldn't have to choose questions.

Okay, so the "rockin dude" is not my best work, but the first entry deleted. So I sent off all these questions to these engineers and I realized, despite the fact that some of them are kinda cute, that I really find the whole thing stupid and entertaining all at the same time. Unfortunately, I don't know if any of my matches think the same way because there isn't a prefabricated question for that.

Off to shower and sand my front door.

1 comment:

iamthanu said...

Yeah, the more I do this, the less enamored I become with the whole idea. It's only been four days and I've become very conscience about what I look like . . . which is stupid but I think the whole thing about "if I go through with this" they'll have to see me sometime. This makes me sound like I think I'm some horrible monster or something, which I don't. It's the whole lining up at the orphanage thing or being in the zoo and the "pick me, pick me" feeling before dodge ball. Don't like it. Also don't like logging onto eharmony every time I get on the computer . . . too needy.