Friday, March 11, 2005

Taunting is not nice

So how this all started was with my yearbook students. One of them was all excited about their "live journal" - "it's so cool, I have a diary on the web and it's completely anonymous. You won't be able to find it."

It took me fifteen minutes to find her live journal (her icon was her senior pic, not hard) and then I was initiated into this weird little world, where they all comment on each others. Kind of creepy, like seeing into their heads. There are some that I check every two weeks or so . . . to see what is up with them, to see if they are on the straight and narrow. One of my former students uses my pic for his icon . . . found it on the web from the "teacher of the week" article. They know I check up on them, don't write anything they don't want everyone to know. Or write so cryptically that no one will understand.

So now I taunt my yearbook students . . . they are sickly fascinated that I might have a "live journal" but LJ is not very anonymous. Bruce is on a quest to find this . . . I teased him today. "So did you find it yet?" But then I sent him off to take pictures.

I think some of my students are planning to hang out in the yearbook room tomorrow until midnight. Harry told me that he took off work for the occasion but I'm hoping that the real reason is that his brother is in town. While I appreciate being the supervisor of a "clean teen" depot on Friday night, I would like a better caterer and maybe an espresso machine. If Starbucks could open a mini-station in my classroom that would be great . . . in that little storage room in the back that we just pile stuff in anyhow.

I know no one says this, but it's really fun to be a teacher. However, taunting the students about finding blogs is not nice . . .

No comments: