Sunday, July 22, 2007

Harry Potter

No, there won't be any spoiling.

As I sit here recovering from my good cry over a children's book at 2:26 a.m. I realize how lucky we are to be able to communicate through writing . . . and to have authors that inspire us. And that I am lucky. To be able to read and comprehend with the speed to finish a J.K. Rowling book over the course of basically six hours.

It was an excellent read. And it ended in a way that I am not reluctant that I finished. And although Ms. Rowling used very common themes -- the importance of love and friendship, the warning that one should not judge others . . . that often the good in a person will surprise you, that absolute power corrupts, and the power of faith and believing in oneself -- she manages to convey this in an often surprising and unique manner.

So true to form, I have finished the last Potter book in a day. It was a good as "Order of the Phoenix", which was my favorite. If you haven't read them (because of the resistance to the hype or perhaps because they are considered children's literature), please consider it.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Damn, it made you cry........ It means I am going to be crying for a long time.

Anonymous said...

OK, you beat me; it took me about two days, but I only get to read when the little guy is sleeping. I cried and cried, too, and finally had to change my pajama top at the end because it was too soggy to sleep in. I thought she handled the ending reasonably well, especially since she had so much stuff to wrap up. Irritatingly enough, Jim's not going to be able to read it until next week and he reads *slowly* (yeah, I know, an English prof who reads slowly. Weird, no?) so it'll be forever before we can discuss it. So he's been peppering me with questions about it that he wants me to somehow answer in a nonspoilery way. Not really dumb ones like "so does Harry die?" but ones like "is there irritating house elf stuff in this one?" and "so is there good stuff with Tonks and Lupin?" Rrr.

-the other one

P.S.: *Order of the Phoenix*? Really?? Interesting choice. I gotta go with *Prisoner of Azkaban*. Or maybe even *Half-Blood Prince*. I found *Phoenix* repetitious; the movie version tightened it in some compelling ways.

iamthanu said...

I still gotta go with the "Order" yeah . . . something about the ending, I wasn't expecting it. And I had come to like that character quite a bit.

I want a house elf. Not to help out. Just for someone to talk to. I'd give him a sock, I swear.

Anonymous said...

No no no; give him a sock monkey!

iamthanu said...

Well, then he would not be a free house elf . . . you have to give them something to wear. And you can't wear a sock monkey. At least not very well.