Monday, February 11, 2008

What About Boozy Cupcakes, Though?

Anyone can live through a three day work week.

And I'm going to a "potluck" on Saturday . . . something that I have avoided since, say, junior year of high school, when the Amnesty International people (the only "club" I ever belonged to . . . and only because Jeff would show up every so often) had a potluck and both E1 and I went. A week later S called and asked me out and later he admitted that he had just read down the phone list until he found the first Emily. So if my last name hadn't been first alphbetically, we would have never have gone out . . . or ever become friends. And that, my friends, is what I associate with potlucks. Weird (albeit sometimes delightful) boys making random phone calls.

So I chose dessert, figuring that if I really "eff" things up, I can always stop by Holiday Markup and save myself with a cheesecake. It's for 20 and right now I'm thinking cupcakes . . . even though my sister has made no bones about my cupcakes skills. (something like, they taste like . . . well a not nice body part) But again, there is the stopping by Holiday Markup backup plan. And there is boozy pie. I just don't know how I'm going to make that individual servings.

Because I was told "well, it's for 20 and I don't really have the table space . . . so baked Alaska would be bad . . . and . . . french toast sticks would be good . . . except M just pointed out that french toast sticks aren't really dessert."

So I shouldn't go with french toast sticks? Cause I can just get a big bag of those frozen at Meijer.

And I forgot to ask how many recovering alcoholics and children there are going to be at this party. Boozy pie is actually boozy. Damn. Cupcakes it is.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Only 3 days......seems like longer. I vote for your cupcakes. I think they are yummy :)

Anonymous said...

Maybe practice does make perfect - OR - you could make Cinnamon Toast....Take Bread - dunk in melted butter (like making french toast) and then dunk in cinnamon sugar - be sure to coat both sides. Put into a 300 Degree Oven for 10 min (or until "toasty"). Very good - a nice sweet dessert - and pretty easy (if you have bread, sugar, cinnamon, and butter - you are good to go).

Anonymous said...

Note well:

a) 3 babies in attendance. Boozy whatever is *encouraged*, as none of the children in question are of cupcake consuming age.

b) If 20 people each bring food for 20 people that's food for 400.

c) Given your (only?!) experience with potluck, your reaction to this one only serves to further underscore what I've been saying forever.

d) Even if you are mean and cynical, I'm looking forward to seeing you. ;)

iamthanu said...

What is it that you have been saying forever? That I need to be less mean and cynical? Obviously, it hasn't stuck, this forever advice. Oh, wait, there was some Qualified Observer lecture about attitude. Is that the one?

And even though you just pointed out that I am mean and cynical . . . I'm looking forward to seeing you to. Honestly.

Sorry that you were blog fodder.