Sunday, February 03, 2008

Knit Michigan

I want to get this statement out of the way . . . as it is somehow burning in my brain.

I got very little knitting done at Knit Michigan.

There. I said it. There were classes and vendors (real vendors, vending, unlike Friday) and there was a lot of walking this year. It was much more spread out.

I met some very cool people and there was lots to see . . . and I bought some things. Oh, and I found the "cool" knitting groups to go to, one on Tuesday and one on Wednesday. They promise that they don't talk about barley or babies.

And the classes? Well, let's just say that I didn't volunteer to teach any . . . so I can't really say anything. Kumihimo braiding . . . I made a lanyard without lanyard lace. Cool enough, but I already knew how to make lanyards. But now I can make them with a fun foam disk. So let's just call that "a taste of Kumihimo" with the idea that I would actually research it later. Made a very nice pink necklace, which immediately went to my mother. And I will buy more of the foam disks.

Toddler toe up sock? Well, I'm not going to compete with my mother anytime soon in the sock making. Yuck. But my attitude towards socks has nothing to do with the instructor. Just seems like a lot of work for something that I can buy at Target for $3.99. (the sock people cringe when I say this . . . and want to stab me in the eye . . . and then look at me pitifully, as I have not reached the enlightment of understanding the wonders of sock knitting)

As for knitting, I knit five inches on some gloves that I am making. Doesn't seem like all that much to me, as I was there for 15 hours. But now I'm at the complicated thumb part, so those will have to be knit in quiet.

Oh, and at the vendor mart, I found a knit store that sells buffalo fiber and yak yarn in East Lansing and a new LYS in Beaumont . . . which is dangerous, as I go to Beaumont every Saturday. Bought a kit from perl grey, a shrug with thumb holes. YAYNESS. Also bought the yarn to make this. Kinda like a ninja helmet. And I have been carrying the pattern around forever. So forever that it seems not to be on the net anymore.

So about 1000 chemo caps were made and turned in . . . and I think they made 26,000 dollars. So a very cool charity event. Next year's is Feb. 7, I think. Something about the first Saturday in February every year. But this means I can knit the chemo cap NOW and make it all cool and funky.

Okay, have to go buy Sharpies (for my students) and knitting needles (need to make a list). And start on the thumbs.

No comments: