Sunday, September 11, 2005

Vague Desire

Lately, I've had a vague desire to go to church. Been rumbling around in the back of my brain for a couple of weeks now and I should just go . . . which would get it out of my system very quickly, I'm sure. Unfortunately, I've been programmed by Mr. Crabbypants (both in genetic material and 18+ years of intense behavioral training) that you cannot go to the late show. The First United Methodist's have an early "show" at 9 a.m.-ish and a late show at 11-ish. Through my behavioral training I have been taught that only the lazy, slouchy, disorganized, un-goal oriented, who may, in fact, be more evil, Methodists attended the late service. Again unfortunately, this behavioral training from Mr. Crabbypants did not break my liking of sleep -especially on Sunday morning. He tried, he really did . . . but I can only get up early on Sunday morning if he is here to yell at me AND there is large amounts of coffee.

Now the Royal Oak F.U. Methodist's (hee, hee, I had no idea that would work out that way if you shortened it) have a Friday service at 5:30 p.m. which is perfect for the "I want to be holy for a while before I go and change for the bar" but quite frankly, it is in conflict with my football/photography coaching sessions. So I guess next week I'll have to meet the lazy Methodists . . . how bad could that be? Before you go all questioning motives and intentions, I really don't know why. It's certainly not to meet any Methodist men . . . I'm way more into Catholics for that. My mom did this too. Every so often, our family would go on a "church kick" where we would go to church for several months. One time we kept it up for several years, during which I think I was president of the church youth group or something. I was quite the "God Squad-er" in ninth grade but I just couldn't keep up with the "testifying" . . . it seemed too much like forcing people.

Maybe I just miss the singing. So next week I'll try to get up early again. I am currently on the two alarm clock plan, as I can sleep soundly through my regular alarm clock (lack of sleep? or just used to it?). I might need three for a Sunday morning though.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Some Catholics are big into Halloween. A good pagan holiday is an excuse for more guilt. That's just how we were raised. Gooch sayeth...

Anonymous said...

Ahhh, TB would be soooo pleased! She knew (knows?) everyone there you know!!

iamthanu said...

Yes, Grandmother would be very pleased and she knew all those people as well as she needed to know them, darn it! Who doesn't like to talk about the weather?