Sunday, November 20, 2005

ACK! Breeders!

At the evil corporate crack . . . I mean coffee . . . dealer this afternoon, there were breeders in front of me in line. They came equipped with a stroller the size of an SUV and a three-year-old with absolutely no manners or self-control.

While I realize that three-year-olds are developmentally unable to have self-control, that's what there are parents for . . . but these breeders weren't parents, they simply saw themselves as creators, or money machines. So "princess scream", as I will now call her, is climbing into the cooler and throwing packages of milk on the floor while her creators stared at the Starbucks menu, plotting to order the most complicated things on the menu. They took such a long time that the efficient (I know, sometimes that happens at Starbucks) barista had already taken my order and was well into making it. I had trouble getting around the SUV stoller while they were deciding on the free cookie. At this point I just want to pay AND scream "It's a free cookie, you idiots, just take one!" but I stop myself.

I have to go around the SUV again to get my drink and Princess Scream is now screaming about the free cookie and then they figure out that they have forgotten all about the kid in the SUV stroller and maybe we should get him a cookie too? Don't you think we should get him a cookie? Excuse me? How do we get another cookie? Can we get another cookie?

Of course they ordered Princess Scream some sort of complicated drink also. They wander aimlessly, with the SUV stroller in the way as much as possible, until they manage to find a table, with no chairs. By this time, I am sitting, reading my paper, sucking down soy latte goodness. I have no need for two chairs, so I offer the chair to the breeder that is standing. What does he do? He gives the chair to Princess Scream, so she is the only one sitting. Her male creator is standing in the middle of an aisle, her female creator is on her knees on the floor but Princess Scream has a chair. Don't forget the SUV stroller blocking the aisle.

A kind gesture is a kind gesture. I gave up the chair to the male creator of Princess Scream and he had every right to do with it whatever he chose. However, someone is going to have to be Princess Scream's teacher one day. And I feel for them.

Ironically, I then read an article about a restaurant in Chicago that insists that parents keep control of their children. Evidently, it is causing quite a stir with a bunch of breeders protesting. I think it sounds like heaven.

Later, while shopping for underwear at Marshall Fields, a family is digging through the clearance lingerie while their three-year-old sings and plays with the underwires on the lowest rack. I don't want to shop for underwear with three-year-olds and I think it is very creepy that "Daddy" is looking for a thong for "Mommy" with the daughter in tow. Makes my skin crawl.

What ever happened to either babysitters . . . or parenting?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tims can Jess and I come visit next Tuesday? I need to interview you for a project. And she wants to come too. Do you have a free period or maybe we'll come during yearbook? Let me know please.
-nowak

iamthanu said...

My plan period (god forbid don't call it a "free period") is 2nd hour, which is 8:56-10:12. Yearbook is at it's regularly scheduled time . . . we have C lunch. But I'm usually running around during yearbook. We don't stay after school much anymore and I have to upload crap and answer lots of questions. The new computer program is really working out though, you should see the index. It does it automatically. Well worth it just for that.

So Tuesday as in tomorrow? Or Tuesday as in after Thanksgiving? Also you need to sign in . . . locks on all the doors and if you don't have a tag they will call a code yellow. I DO NOT WANT TO BE THE REASON FOR A CODE YELLOW. I'm in enough trouble for the hair. :)

Anonymous said...

Tuesday after thanksgiving, we'll probably try and come during your "plan period" and go sneak a peek at the new yearbook kids and maybe we won't get passes just for a code yellow. hah. Im just kidding we'd get passes.

Anonymous said...

Parenting is taught in Family and Consumer Science class(es). Apparently your area and Chicago schools need to hire some of those teachers to teach that curriculum.
It can only help!

iamthanu said...

Hmmm. . . a "Family and Consumer Sciences" plug . . . who could it be?

Maybe the Queen of the Home Ec-y Beckies? My mom . . . always gettin' that word out.

Unfortunately, Home Ec indoctrination will not help those creators, who are my age. As I recall, I didn't take any Home Ec, ur, sorry, Family and Consumer Science, after middle school and even in middle school you criticized my teacher for giving me an A+ on a sewing project that you did not feel was worthy. (It was true . . . she was just amazed by my ability to choose colors, that's why the bear looked so good)