Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Oowwuch!

So I went to "Todd" this morning to have my "scars scraped", which sounds nicer than it actually is . . . as if that were possible. According to "Todd" and his fiber optic hose, the right side of my nose looks okay. Evidently the boney growth is gone and it is healing well. A little "debris" (it frightens me, so I didn't look) but otherwise the right side . . . it's going well. The left side of my nose is a whole other story.

I knew this, however, because of the random nose bleeds. They are not like the nose bleeds that I never got in elementary school. I didn't ever have a nose bleed until I was well into my . . . well . . . whatever, it was recent. Even when I might have broken my nose, all those times. The random nose bleed starts with a STREAM of blood that is very, very red. Arterial red. Bright red. As my friend remarked, it is very NEW blood. So bright red blood pours out of my nose, just like a horror show. This makes going back to work very interesting, especially with the whole biohazard panic.

The first time was at work, although after school. I sneezed and then it wouldn't stop. I had to drive home with tissue stuffed up my nose. Most of the time, you don't think about how other people can see you in your car. When you have a wad of tissue packed in your nose, you are suddenly very aware.

Next, I decided to go for a walk. Started with the blood streaming about half way to Starbucks, but after a week of this, I just held a tissue up to my nose and kept walking. Cleaned up in the bathroom of the Starbucks. I'm sure people assumed I'd been beat up or something. "Oh look honey, the battered person just washed up in the bathroom." I'm sure it was appetizing.

According to "Todd", the left side of my nose is still "a mess" with "scabs" and "swelling" and all that good stuff. He took out some of the stitches but left some intact, so I won't grow a hole in my septum. Thanks. He also scraped out some scar tissue in my sinus cavity so that it won't close up . . . I didn't know that "closing up" was an option, so I'm now a little paranoid.

Oh, and it hurts like hell. It fact it hurt so much last night that I woke up from the pain. So I'm back on the pain moderation. So now I have to go involuntarily pass out again.

The random bleeding may go on for "a while" according to "Todd". While I would like a more definitive answer . . . a while means that it will eventually stop. Everything else turned out well . . . and I was given the phone number to order my copy of the CT scans. Whhheeee! Back to work tomorrow.

No comments: