Thursday, May 25, 2006

Scary Movies

I watched a really dumb horror movie last night. And not as in the parody, Evil Dead like genre, but a horror movie that took itself seriously. "The Hills Have Eyes" They must have bought out all the corn syrup and red food coloring in the state of California. A lot of it seemed to be gross for the sake of just being gross, shocking for the sake of being shocking. And there was this whole "Democrat gets mad and kicks a**" theme, where a pacifist main character is so overwrought by the killing of his wife and the stealing of his baby that he becomes a killing machine. I suppose it could happen . . . evidently it is curiously common in bad horror movies. But I never watch horror movies, so I don’t know this.

The reason I never watch horror movies? Because I am a wimp. I startle easily. I have to close my eyes through most of the scary parts, or what I think are going to be the scary parts (I don’t know, I have my eyes closed) which I judge by the music. I’m kind of okay with the gore . . . I can conceptualize special effects (I know they’re not real) but then whenever I close my eyes for the rest of the day (or worse night, when it’s dark) I will see certain scenes in my head.

After the scary movie (or book for that matter), I have to lock all the doors and check them, and then check them again and check all the windows and check the basement and then sit in bed with the four D cell mag light in my head so I can beat anyone up side the head who might come to get me.

Last night, I screamed three times (a least), hid my eyes for about a third of the movie and it must have hurt when I squeezed C. when that guy jumped on that other bloody guy without the finger (guess you had to be there). Yeah, so I’m a wimp. But it was really fun and I would have never gone on my own.

Well worth having to picture the geeky guy in a freezer full of body parts, every time I close my eyes.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Horror movies are not dumb. They rock.

iamthanu said...

The movie we saw was dumb . . . scary, but dumb. I'm not making a generalization about all horror movies, just the one I saw on Wednesday.