Friday, May 05, 2006

Two Closets of Nothin' to Wear

Shopped for hours yesterday, with no luck. No dress for tonight. Yes, yes, I know I have four dresses from friends weddings, plus the five previous prom night dresses and all of the "affairs of state" outfits that I have stuffed into my closet. But it wasn't about having nothing to choose from . . . it was about bribing myself into being excited about Prom. It's always so much better with a chipper attitude, otherwise I am tempted to go catch the smokers . . . and no one wants me to do that. Not even the adults in charge.

Being an adult shopping for prom dresses is much more complicated than if you are in high school. It can't be too dressy, as you're not there to upstage anyone. I think floor length is way too much. Not too "Jenny Cleves". For some reason the "alternate length" trend meant there were old lady dresses that were way too short. And black is nice . . . you really just want to blend into the wall for the most part. The dress is really for the book club afterward anyhow.

So I will have to make do with what I have. I didn't even get new shoes . . . because, quite frankly, there were a few contenders but none of them were on sale enough. Found a great fifty dollar dress that was actually $182.00, but it was only fifty dollars worth of good to me. And you can't get the shoes until you know which dress. So I will dig deep . . . I'm sure I have shoes that I have forgotten about.

No comments: