Tuesday, February 13, 2007

But She Said "Snow Day"

Tomorrow is Valentine's Day . . . and someone said "snow day" very early in the day because of the weather forecast, so I ended up doing damage control all day.

"No, we are not going to have a snow day . . . it's not even snowing . . . look out the window."

And it is currently snowing. Messy on the way home . . . would have been better if I had left before 5 pm ( . . . yes, I can leave at 3:05, according to my contract, and I rarely ever do that, plus I have homework and a permanent 25 minute lunch . . . ) (I know, puppets of the evil empire have the easiest lives.) But it's not snowing enough. Despite the media foaming over the snow, it's not enough snow to shut anything down. I haven't even shoveled yet.

Why does the media get all rabid about the weather nowadays? Did they always do that? Or is it just that now it's the most colorful part of the news, with all their maps and graphs? Couldn't they talk about how Jenny is taxing all the things I love . . . martinis . . . pedicures . . . haircuts . . . pet grooming . . . (okay, I don't have any pets, but if I did . . . ) So I get to deal with a crabby constituency tomorrow who were all ramped up by the news and by someone coming over the P.A. And it will be Valentine's Day . . . which is a simply despicable holiday. I think I will need a martini. Definitely a martini kind of day.

So happy hallmark holiday. On this made up holiday, specifically thought up to make single people feel rejected and awful, I will be going to a high school band concert. Which means I can't have a martini. But on the plus side, I did not have to think of a creative gift for anyone. There. Thinking positive. Aligning that Chi.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wait a minute. I though I could count on you for a dinner and a drink on VD Day!
Really, get your priorities straight.
- Princess

Anonymous said...

Did she say VD day? That is great. :)

Anonymous said...

And, as it turns out, the media was correct. SNOW DAY!!! (on count day, no less--how sweet is that???) Turns out the evil empire can be brought to its knees by a little frozen water and wind!!
ENJOY!

iamthanu said...

Dinner and a drink are not gifts . . . and yes, we are still going out. As I recall, you had a board meeting. So we are still on. After I go to Somerset. And shovel the walk. And work out.

And yes, Princess used the term "VD day" which is incredibly ironic, if you know Princess.

And the media was correct . . . I don't know how. So I slept in. I'm putting on 12 layers to go shovel. Then, I may go to the mall for some shopping therapy. I know I'm not supposed to go anyway (if it was too bad to go to work) but all my students went skiing on the "cold" day, so I don't feel quite so bad anymore.