Monday, December 12, 2005

Distracted by Brian Williams' Tie

I was watching Brian Williams' interview with George Bush while talking on the phone. "I'm distracted by Brian Williams' tie. Who wears a bright pink tie to interview the President?" "You can't tell me that you like George Bush." was offered up in the conversation and then hackles were raised with the answer. Why do people do that? Did you want me to lie?

So I asked if it was really important . . . what did my opinion about George Bush have to do with anything? And he argued that it WAS important . . .

Why is it that people can say that they are all tolerant and stuff but as soon as it is something that they don't agree with, suddenly they are down your throat. "How can you believe that?!?"

And he was serious . . . and when I tried to change the subject, he wouldn't.

My feelings about the current government are not important to any of my current relationships. I don't care about what people do the in privacy of their own bedrooms or in their voting booth. I do care when they try to make me feel shitty about my beliefs simply because they don't exactly match their own. You didn't change any of my opinions, however, I did choose not to SHARE some of my opinions with you. So what was the point? Oh, and I eat meat too . . . lots of meaty meat.

He finally stopped pressing when I pointed out that I spend all day with social studies teachers and if I wanted to have a political discussion I could have it with them . . . cause they let me sit at their table and everything.

Did I mention that I also eat meat? I mean the killing animals kind?

No comments: