Saturday, December 03, 2005

Really?!?

This summer I made a sweater . . . simple enough, yarn from the Superbowl Sale at the yarn store in Howell (only go there for that sale, much too crowded otherwise), pattern from Stitch and Bitch, lots of days with little to nothing to do . . . Voila! sweater.

It's still a little rough around the edges. I wanted the sleeves to be long, so they would go over my hands, but now they are a bit too long so some unwraveling is in order. I still have to weave in some ends (I hate that . . . I need some man to live at my house and do dishes AND weave in ends). But it's COLD here and for some reason I hate wearing coats so I just layer well. Yesterday, I wore the sweater to school. (hee, hee, this is a line from one of my favorite songs)

Now the sweater has a skull and crossbones on each arm . . . too cool for school but I was just wearing it into the building and then taking it off. As I was coming in, several teachers commented on it and I would say "Thanks, I made it." Every response was . . . "Really?!?"

How do you answer that? "No, actually I just wanted to tell you a made it to impress you . . . I actually have this man I paid ten dollars an hour to do dishes and make me sweaters . . ." Fast forward to the end of school and leaving with the social studies teachers. Put the sweater on to go outside.

"Cool sweater."
"No really, really cool sweater, love the Jolly Rogers . . . where did you get it."
"I made it."
"Really?!?"

So either the sweater is so impressive that it couldn't possibly be handmade or no one has any confidence that I could actually knit a sweater that cool. Not sure which. They see me knit at every faculty meeting. They see my silly hats. And yet, they are incredulous about a sweater. Really?!?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those evil social studies teachers!

Anonymous said...

Really! If you let people know that you are a knitter with a capital "K", they will start asking you to "fix this" or "can you knit a sweater for me"? They will not even know why you will look at them as though they had three heads!

Stick to knitting wierd looking toilet paper covers in their presence...you don't really want the hassle once they appreciate your talents!