Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Dump Trucks and Sassiness

Every so often I say something that makes so much sense to me that I don't realize that no one else in the room has any idea WHAT I'm talking about . . . Case in point, I now have to stand up in front of all my colleagues and field questions. Simple enough. Except that when I answer the questions, according to my partners in crime, I make no sense to anyone who is not well versed in Emily-isms.

What I was trying to say: That won't work because that is not how the computer application works. You, as a teacher, use one software program and they move that information (or export) into another software program in order to use the information or data. (Except that I knew that no one would understand that)

What I said in front of sixty people: Well . . . it's kinda like your grades go into a dump truck . . . and the dump truck dumps those into SASIness . . . (SASI being a school information software program)

I thought I was making perfect sense. The crowd was smiling politely and nodding their heads softly as though they understood. I was making a great metaphor about data and a dump truck, something tangible that you could picture in your head, until . . . I heard whispering next to me. "Did she really just say dump truck and sassiness?"

"What? They get it." I whispered back. "Nooooooo, they don't." was the reply. Of course we are acting like there isn't an audience of sixty people . . . or pretending we are in a cone of silence. I look back at the person who asked the question and say "You get it? Right?" She smiles, even more politely if that were possible, and nods her head . . . yes . . . and then no . . . and the no shaking is stronger. "I have no idea what you are saying, dear." she says.

Evidently, according again to my partners in crime, I do this all the time. It made perfect sense to me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Makes perfect sense to me!! I get it! Maybe that is why they don't understand in the first place!!!

iamthanu said...

So what you are saying is that I'm only understandable to those who are genetically related to me? I really don't want to speak in front of you guys, nor really work for any of you either.

Maybe I just need a translator . . . like at the UN. Someone to stand next to me in a blue box and repeat everything I say in understandable English.