Sunday, October 23, 2005

Apples and 1986

So I figured out how to get this to work . . . though it took some conniving. The trip is great. Have some great pictures, especially of this dead thing hanging in a stairwell.

So St. Marks has these kids that hang out on the street and they look exactly the same as they did in 1986. Except that these are KIDS, not the people from 1986, who are in their 30's and 40's by now. So there is either some Peter Pan thing going on or new teenagers who "study up" on the exact style of punk 1986. I know there is some reference material but really, did we want to go back to Johnny Rotten? (1970's, I know) Heck, John Lyndon doesn't even want to go back there.

So it was like the "Hall of Presidents" from Disneyworld or the reenacters at Greenfield Village, except with punk culture. And somehow that was just as lame as the "Hall of Presidents" (sorry, mom, it is lame. You just go there because it's quiet and air conditioned) except that their were real people attached to the mohawks, instead of animatronics.

So every sales person seems to recognize me. Evidently the sales pitch here is, "Didn't I see you in here last week?" or "don't you come in here all the time?" Either that or I have a doppelganger. Scared of that.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear the trip is going well. Somehow I knew you would send us a message from the Big Apple. I can't wait for the "real details" of the trip! Did you find any fun purses?
Later tater-
Goose, or am I Maverick?

iamthanu said...

No, you yourself decided you were Goose, remember? That certainly does not make me Maverick in any way, shape or form, however. . .

Purses were all too overwhelming without you there to choose. Did see a small black one. But you said you wanted big. Had very good luck at the H&M though.