Saturday, October 15, 2005

The Dependable One and Morning

My brother, the dependable one, used to be an early bird. He would get up at 6 am every day and have coffee, read the paper, putz around doing whatever my brother does. He and my father were very alike in that aspect.
While I hate the phone calls . . . "What you're still asleep?" or "Why didn't you answer? I waited until 7 am." There was something were dependable about my brother being up on at the butt crack of dawn . . . or as listed in the Odyssey: dawn with it's fingers of rose . . . sorry, English 9 flashback . . .

But no more . . . my brother got married, to an awesome woman, who we all love very much. However, once married . . . my brother switched from morning guy to right around noon guy. This is confusing to us, confusing to me. He said that he would come help me with my thermocouple this morning ("help me with my thermocouple?" Sounds kinda dirty) and it is now 11. I got up at 8 thinking he would be here banging on the door.

Now I have to go find something else to do . . . I can't fix the thermocouple because I'm not really sure which, of all the thingies in my furnace, it is. And the thing is, thermocouples, they come in sizes. So you have to know what size to buy, which means you have to take it out of your furnace and take it with you to the hardware store. Again, I could do that by myself . . . but I don't know which thing to disassemble and take.

So my brother is no longer a morning person. One can now longer call at 8 am and know that he will be there with his coffee and his newspaper. It is a sad state of affairs.

At least there is still Mr. Crabbypants. But then again, his morningness might be just the fact that he stops breathing 127 times a night. His body might just say, "Get the hell up so we can breathe." Mr. Crabbypants being a late sleeper would really rock my world. Of course, the payback would be a bitch . . . I've gotten used to calling him at 7 am on a Saturday.

No comments: