Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Socks and Safety Glasses

There is a knock at the door. There is never a knock at the door. No one shows up announced . . . and quite frankly, most people I know couldn't get here without instructions . . . "No really, if you get to _______ you've gone too far." To their credit, my house is exactly the same design as the house next to it, and the house next to that, and so on.

Find a robe. It is 1 pm, but I have shifted to vampire time very quickly this vacation. Hopefully, the transition back will be just a smooth, but I doubt it.

Seriously consider just not answering the door. It's not going to be anyone interesting . . . nothing good could come from answering the door. But it's a guy in safety glasses. "Hi, I'm from the gas company." Yeah, so? He starts pointing at the large hole in my front yard. Something about old meter. (I like that old meter. I paid for that damn meter, so it wouldn't be in the front of my house. That meter meant hours of negotiation. What do you mean 'a new meter'?)

Okay, just found him in my house. Creepy. I didn't need any pilots lit. Everything is automatic. If my imaginary husband Buck were home, there would have been bloodshed. My fault for leaving the front door open, but he should have knocked. But he checked all my gas appliances, and gave me a larger meter (225 btu instead of 175 . . . seems like asking for a larger gas bill). Funny, typing here and finding a guy in his socks wandering in the hallway. And safety glasses.

He's gone. Door is locked.

Now I can take a shower. Start using that 225 btu super power that I've always wanted. Maybe the hole in my yard will be filled by the time I have my makeup on.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't count on the hole being filled---and have you thought of locking the door?

iamthanu said...

If that is my mother . . . yes, I do think about locking the door.

If it is someone else . . . my family has this weird sense of homeland security, in which ALL things must be locked at all times. Once had an interesting conversation with a guy I dated about it. "You lock the doors when you are inside the house?" He just locked them when he left.

So yeah, I lock the doors all the time. Don't want anyone sneaking up on me. Kinda like today.

Anonymous said...

I feel the need to question your sanity!

~sms~