Friday, August 03, 2007

But They Have Access to Cable, Right?

So I am toying with the idea of going vegetarian . . . so much so, that I gave the PETA people my address. Which may have been a huge mistake. But they had this nifty "free starter kit". And I wanted to know what that would contain, other than a big sticker stating MEAT IS MURDER.

And I like animals and all, but really, I find them yummy. Family chicken weirdness aside, there's nothing better than a rare steak. But I read this book. Hate it when that happens. Didn't even have to buy it because I read it in the store, in somewhat less than two hours because I didn't have to pay for parking. Anyhow, this book was talking about eating habits . . . and how when you are afraid all these bad hormones go through your body . . . and how even if the package says that the cow had a very soft bed and comfy pillows, they all go to the same slaughterhouse. And then the book pointed out that there are some people that aren't the nicest to the animals working at the slaughterhouse.

And my first reaction would be "that's crap", except that I worked at the step after the slaughterhouse, with the people who worked there. And I didn't eat bacon for fifteen years . . . and I still can't eat ham. So the part in the book describing how some of the workers might torture the animals for kicks, because they are going to die anyway. Yeah, well, they used to laugh at the flies sealed in the hot dog packages. And the whole thing with the USDA guy and the tagging meat thing was totally true, because 40 pallets I personally tagged as unsafe went out. So yeah, that makes the whole meat is yummy idea, not so yummy.

My brother was vegan for a while. Now I think he might use butter. He refuses to sit in my house however, as I have leather furniture . . . and he has awful shoes. So I thought I might ease into things. Maybe try some "meatless" sausage in my chili . . . oh, and give the PETA people my name so I can get on another FBI list. Because, really, I like yogurt and cheese. And I'm sure those cows have comfy pillows, right?

Hopefully, I'll get over it in a week or two. I mean I have eaten veal before and not even felt guilty. Hmmm.

1 comment:

hud said...

That's it! *snaps fingers*

No (beef) soup for you!