Monday, October 29, 2007

The Guilt of American Girls

I went out with PB yesterday to deliver the hat. The hat I wanted to mail. But I didn't know his last name. And we went to The Fly Trap and had a lovely lunch. And he kept teasing me about "American girls and their guilt".
I'm not sure what that means. First off, PB is as American as I am . . . it's not like he is an expatriate from somewhere overseas, or that he grew up somewhere exotic. Although "out East" is certainly more exotic than Detroit, one could argue. But I could argue the other way too . . . Detroit is very much like a jungle sometimes. I digress.

And granted, he does travel internationally for his job, so maybe he can throw out an American girl generalization. Somehow, I am pleased that I can be generalized, although by his tone "American girls and their guilt" is not something to be wished for or envied. I think it's because we are saying "we're sorry" all the time. At least I do. Maybe.

And "The Guilt of an American Girl" is the best book title ever, I swear.

And then he could not carry the gift home on his motorcycle, as he did not expect it to be a nice day and didn't expect a box? So I ended up delivering the damn thing anyhow.

And now that I have thought about the Jewish tradition . . . one shouldn't even buy the gifts until the baby is born. I just said to not open it. Oops. So we shouldn't have gone out to lunch at all. But it was pleasant. And the chicken was yummy. (yes, I had chicken . . . and not even "family chicken")

So if someone could explain the guilt of American girls . . . that would be very appreciated. It was noisy in the restaurant and I don't think I understand the concept.

No comments: