Sunday, October 14, 2007

The Quay Brothers

I went to the most beautiful movie tonight. A collection of Quay Brothers' short films, my favorite of which was "Street of Crocodiles". The Quay boys were the inspiration for many of my favorite music videos, "Sober" and "Prison Sex" from Tool and I think "Closer" from Nine Inch Nails. (Closer video is NWS)

A really short, short Quay Brothers' film can be found here. And a video they did for His Name is Alive (evidently when he was big and had money?) can be found here. It has a bunny in it. (and I still don't like HNIA)

It is all stop animation and absolutely amazing.

Now two things to bitch about:

1. The program listed His Name is Alive as a British band . . . when HNIA is from Livonia. One would think that the people at the Detroit Institute of Arts could get that right. Especially when the first listing on google says "Michigan's finest".

2. The two guys behind me . . . one of them found all of the movies incredibly funny. A laugh riot. And NONE of the movies were funny. So laughing at the bunny. Laughing at the doll losing its' hands. I couldn't figure out if he just didn't understand the movies, if he was laughing nervously because the subjects made him uncomfortable, or if the guy next to him was just tickling him. Yes, that's how much he laughed.

Okay, one nice thing:

There was a couple, well into their seventies, if not their eighties, who were obviously on their first date. And that was really, really cute.
At the end of the first short:
"Well, what did you think of that?"
"I didn't understand a thing."
"Neither did I."
"Oh, well . . . then I don't feel so bad."

They were adorable. I just wanted to squeeze them both.

No comments: