Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Almost Got Cans of Soup

When I first moved to this house, the first Halloween was exciting.

My favorite holiday. I had lived here almost a year. And I bought a big batch of candy. My first trick o' treaters . . . in my new house. My very own. So exciting. And so, I bought good candy. Willy Wonka sugar and Reese's Peanut Butter cups. I was ready. Ready to be the best candy house on the block.

And no one came. Except a stray cat.

And the next year . . . different stray cat.

And last year, one child from next door.

So as of this morning I had not purchased candy. And I have thrown away all the candy in my house on one of my cleaning binges. So after school I tossed around the idea of NOT getting any, going home and taking a nap. But thought about it . . . and all I would have in the house to give out were cans of soup. Cans of Italian wedding soup to be specific. Santa brought me a twelve pack (from Costco) last Christmas.

So I went and bought one bag of candy from Target.

I had six trick o' treaters tonight. All got handfuls of Willy Wonka sugar and I still have most of the bag left. And I work in a school, so getting rid of the rest of it won't be a problem. But I won't be known as the house of soup.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had zero. It might just be the lack of porch light....or it could be that I am scary.

hud said...

House of soup? I'm thinkin' the average trick-or-treater has zero appreciation for Warhol...