Monday, October 22, 2007

Simple Kind of Life

Now all those simple things
are simply too complicated for my life
How’d I get so faithful to my freedom?
A selfish kind of life
When all I ever wanted was the simple things
A simple kind of life
-- "Simple Kind of Life" No Doubt

We were talking about something I did. A classic Emily move, suitable for television writing, which expanded to a discussion of someone following me around for an HBO show.

But my life is not quite that interesting . . . and quite frankly, I never wanted it to be. My plan was to be coming home to someone, maybe making dinner, putting the kids to bed . . . maybe watching a little T.V., telling the dog to get off the couch. The mundane intrigues me because I do not have it. And my reflection is so idealized . . . like a punk rock Leave It to Beaver.

Didn't even have it when I wasn't actively looking for people to meet. When I was holed up in my shell. Not looking for adventure, as I am now. There have always been "classic Emily" stories. This life finds me. And I suppose I am, and will always be, never one for simple.

No comments: