Sunday, January 15, 2006

Learning French in Three Weeks

My sister and I decided to go on vacation . . . she had never been to NYC, so we decided to go during my February break. Then I figured out that it was cheaper to go to Europe . . . for a while we were going to Germany, but then again my sister had already been to Germany, so we settled on Paris.

I was a little hesitant about France. My sister can speak some German. I can speak English. Germans are relatively understanding . . . I could probably get some food and find the bathrooms. However, I've just been warned that the French "hate people who visit their country and don't bother to learn the language" and there was something specific about being American in that and I think I have a neon sign magically above me, flashing "American" and pointing at the top of my head.

Spit or being spit on was also brought up . . . the previous time I was intentionally spit on was the only time I really, really considered starting a fist fight (all those other times . . . well, the other person started it). So I can't decide if I need to get a speak French fast tape or to practice kick boxing in case I get spit on. I'm sure it will be fine. We're only going to go to touristy places like The Louvre and I'm sure they have signs for the bathrooms. Plus we're only going to be there for five days. How much trouble could I get into?

Keep in mind that my baby sister is much, much more sensible than I am. She'll slap me upside the head.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is nice you have friends to give you such words of wisdom.

Anonymous said...

ooh eh la toilette
- phonetic spelling
(ou est la toilette - french)
Where is the toilet?
Be polite while asking and you should be free from any spit.

iamthanu said...

Yes, and I would like to be spit free for the duration of the trip . . . I really would.

Actually, I get through whole days in the U.S. without talking to anyone . . . I don't know why I think it would be different in France.