Thursday, January 12, 2006

The Secret Life of . . .

I hate the fact I'm surprised that "in this day and age" I cannot just get any movie I want on DVD. "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty" is not on DVD. How can this be? We have robots on Mars for goodness sake . . . and we don't have this Danny Kaye movie at the Blockbuster? What have things come to?

I really want to watch a movie in class tomorrow . . . in all my classes tomorrow. We need a movie. My students, they don't want a movie. They NEED a movie. We haven't watched anything since first marking period and that was 12 weeks ago. Do you know what happens when you take kids that have grown up with nothing but media and make them READ for 12 weeks? Without any pictures? Or moving parts? Or sound effects? It isn't pretty . . . so I settled for "Cool Hand Luke". A little tricky to connect to the curriculum but a classic nonetheless. Plus I can use the line for weeks.

No comments: