Friday, April 20, 2007

Hazard

"Teachers lie. I would have liked to gun them all down too." was a blog quoted in the Free Press. The article was about "fringe society" making Cho a martyr on the internet. And somehow it made what I've been thinking about for the last two days worse.

I break up fights. I listen to threats. I've been called every swear word in the book. I've been knocked over by a student this year. I report off-hand comments, things students say without thinking about the possible consequences and then have the student mad at me for making the report . . . which usually leads to more threatening behavior. In the incident where the student knocked me over, causing a visible bruise, I had to call the parent myself. And some of the state legislature think that teachers have too good a lot in life.

If I had gone into advertising, like my parents told me too, it would be stressful. But would I be breaking up fights in the hallway outside my cubicle?

I know that every career has its downside, but what is too much of a downside? I am consistently reminded that I'm taking care of "their" children. That my job is so important. That I have to be very careful, all the time. My personal life is constantly under scrutiny. I am told that I have to set a good example, 24/7. And yet, I am paid less than people with the same education level in private industry.

My profession is seen as easy to get into . . . the tenure system has kept some in my profession in place when they probably shouldn't be. Everyone can remember that terrible teacher they had . . . or the terrible teachers, more likely. "Those who can't do . . . teach." And there is the "you get summers off" argument thrown out there. And somehow, everyone thinks of high school perpetually in the 1950's. Sure everyone was bored, but no one was throwing desks. (I've only had chairs thrown at me.)

Oh, and when I call about "their" children? "I don't know what to do, either" or "I'm afraid of them too" is often the response.

Keep in mind, I always have to be the "bigger" person. I cannot retaliate. I can only defend myself if I can prove that child is being a danger to themselves or others without a doubt. And I will be questioned. And it will be assumed that I am in the wrong (assumed guilty) should I ever have to restrain a child. I am held to a higher standard than a citizen walking on the street.

And I'm not saying that I shouldn't be held to a very high standard. But I just don't see many people gunning for librarians . . . or engineers. He shot the professors first. And how many of you had to break up a fist fight at the office? With blood? Is it too late to go into advertising?

No comments: