Sunday, April 01, 2007

Versions

I was talking to a side of the LR today (who gets to be the bottom?) and was amazed by how different a perspective got presented. I heard all the same stories last week, just through another's eyes.

We all change our stories, our version of truth, to benefit ourselves . . . the protagonist always wins, even if there isn't any winning. And we are always the protagonist, in our stories.

There were some parts where I bit my tongue. A spectacular bit of control for me. Because, again, I had already heard a different version of the story . . . and somehow, my brain wanted to add these insights to others' brains. It's funny that way.

I spend a lot of time in my career talking about point of view: Atticus' point of view (doesn't he know that they aren't playing strip poker? How can you tell?), Jem's point of view . . . Scout's telling of the story . . .

So here is my point of view. You . . . you over there . . . you are just doing this because it's a bad idea. I have a hard time believing that you are this morally corrupt . . . but if you are really that needy, well, whatever. Glad I won't be there when it goes boom. Please understand that people sometimes use other people to get what they need. When they are morally corrupt anyhow. Or not whole people. You notice that I'm not saying "bad". You are doing this. She is doing this. And a relationship cannot be based on use. As an outsider not really knowing either party involved, I wish you the best. And the worse.

And you . . . yeah, you . . . the one's who is distracted easily. I know I'm a sympathetic ear and I'm cool with that but we have a very unequal relationship at this moment. I know that I upset the equilibrium . . . but really, what it was based on, wasn't that good. So we either need to move through this. Or not. But I need you to stop being distracted by every betty that walks through your life. I wouldn't stop listening to you for a guy.

So there you go.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Seems like things are fine.

Anonymous said...

Typo:

"I wouldn't stop listening you for a guy."

Kind of kills your punchline.

iamthanu said...

Awww. . . shucks . . . thanks. And no one else corrected me. So shame on you, Mom and E. (Although E. will usually email me when she wants a correction)