Saturday, April 28, 2007

Slurp Geek

I am going to what is basically a D & D convention next weekend. I imagine it will be something like this. (Sorry, I can no longer upload from youtube for some reason. A technical problem for another day. Something to do with switching to blogger beta.) (Love the lizard thing, by the way.)

I am going with my brother and his friends to the Palladium book convention, invited because it seems like an opportunity to meet slurp geeks . . . and I have developed an affinity for men wearing digital watches lately. Slurp geeks is a term coined by my other brother, J., to describe, well . . . the slurping sound of one's retainer being readjusted in one's mouth. When J. finds something that he deems as extremely geeky, he will make this sound . . . you put your tongue against the roof of your mouth and suck spit on the sides of your mouth.

Goes something like this: "Hey J. You want to go to the Palladium con with me? Seems they have like, four hour gaming sessions of Robocop."

J. makes long slurping noise with a look of distaste. "No."

Or "Hey J. look at that guy over there in the white socks."
"Umm, yeah . . . (slurp)"

And hence the term slurp geek was born. It's not in the urban dictionary yet . . . so it is truly a Emily's family made up term. You all know one, I'm sure.

Keep in mind, both of my brothers could be categorized as slurp geeks, in their day . . . J. possibly still is one, with his penchant for everything techie. And D. was, for sure, before he got married and his wife started buying him shirts from J. Crew. Mr. Crabbypants? Definitely slurp geek material. He was one part of the A.V. club . . . and the radio club in high school. I've seen pictures.

And a gaming convention (or "con" as D. keeps calling it) seems like an excellent opportunity to meet slurp geeks. I think I'm going to wear something that shows some cleavage. And no, I will not be gaming . . . at least not in the traditional sense. I read all the D & D books as a 4th grader, but was a girl and had no one to play with. Plus, once I figured out that there was just a bunch of dice rolling and you had to have this collective imaginary world . . . well . . . it just seemed like a lot of energy expended. Evidently, my brother J. was one of those Dungeon Masters who was a real tool. Found that out today.

P: "Yeah, I stopped playing with your brother after the butter knife incident."
"Butter knife incident?" (I don't remember anything about butter knives in D & D)
"I killed someone's character because J. told me he was running at me with a knife. Then he'd say, 'Why'd you kill him? It was a butter knife.' "

Evidently, that was bad form. My brother would do this, killing off the character who had the key to neutralize the nuclear bomb, or what have you, over a butter knife . . . thus killing off the whole room. The boy does like a good mind game.

So I've been promised that there will be more interesting things to do than watching a big bunch of slurp geeks play role playing games. Something about a costume contest and meeting all the writers. My brother has books for me to take around and get signed. And with the dawn of computers, it should be a thirtyish crowd. No one plays role playing games sitting around a table anymore. I think it's all done on the net nowadays. Low tech, old, slurp geeks. Yum. Hope they have jobs . . . and are not living in their mother's basement.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, there will be some anthropology to be had there, won't there? Fully in support of cleavage- makes boys crazy (was going to say stupid, but we're already that for the most part....).

Your negativity level is too high again.

iamthanu said...

Thank you for the hip check . . . it is leeching out at this point. Have to save it all up for work, the positivity that is, but of course will now reflect.

But really, can't I be negative? When things are negative?

I know you yell at traffic.

Anonymous said...

YOU KNOW NOTHING, DAMMIT! lol, kidding. I yell at traffic in part to get the bitterness out of my system; some yahoo blunders unconsciously into my path I figure it's better to let him have it than to carry the angersurge home.

Of *course* you can be negative when things are negative, but really, how negative are things? Several blogs earlier you said you "live like a rock star." The issue is less one of negativity than it is one of focus- try and keep the good stuff at the front of your brain, 'cause this will affect your overall demeanor and should help to attract that which you are seeking.

iamthanu said...

So your blundering yahoo = my blog occasionally.

My nickname in the coven is "the nice one" . . . and it is so well known that it was used at work this week. Someone came to ask me instead of the others.

I also do things like -- "Don't laugh. She was crying. You shouldn't laugh at things like that." I think I even said something about ruining karma.

So agreed about the focus . . . but this (the blog) isn't always about the focus. Sometimes it's yelling at traffic.

(I feel like I'm chanting "I'm a nice person, really I am . . ." when I so don't need to. So I'm going to stop.)