Wednesday, March 15, 2006

After all that, I'm getting some babies

I've been the resume queen lately. Unfortunately, not for myself . . . but editor for "the coven", who has decided as a collective that maybe we should be in charge. Since I have the degree, it is felt that I should also be pushing to be "in charge". And at one time, that really was my goal.

I could polish the resume, dye my hair a "normal" color, start wearing some other shoes . . . skully Converse do not scream "administrative material". But I've done that for 10 years and, quite frankly, I like having a job where I can wear Converse. I would actually like a job were I could wear the Converse more.

So M2 keeps pushing for me to work toward my potential. She is graduating . . . and will get job this spring, no doubt about it. As she was asking about my lackadaisical job search the other night, I said, only half kidding, "Nah, I think I just want to find someone to marry and then make babies." Wouldn't have time to do that if I do my best at being an A.P.

So despite my commitment issues and my selfishness, this my new plan. My mother has suggested that I could just "get" some babies . . . there are lots of extra in the world that are in need of a parent. Can always count on Mom for a plan B. When queried about who would help in the taking care of the adopted critters, the reply was "that is what day care is for . . . " This from a woman who put her life on hold for thirteen years to raise her children. (Well, there was the master's degree years -- where we ate lots of smoky links, mac and cheese in the blue box and hung out at car dealerships and the airport. But we learned much in those years . . . about hubcabs, planes, brochures)

So how far I have come . . . from "Relationship? But I don't want a relationship." to "find someone to marry and make some babies." How 1950's. I think I'll go pick out the china pattern this weekend.

An acquaintance of mine did mention that it was the taking care of the babies once you have them that is the hard part . . . noted.

No comments: