Monday, March 06, 2006

No Incognito

As I stood on the corner of Main and Third, pissed that all the tables were taken at Starbucks (by high schoolers . . . ), I heard a beep and see a young man waving from the backseat. I can hear the conversation in my head, "Hey Dad? I think that's my teacher." I am not supposed to run into people from work in Royal Oak . . . I'm not supposed to run into people I know in Royal Oak if possible (hard, because of the restaurant days, but doable). I am suddenly aware of my scowl and have to change it to "happy school me".

Of course, if I didn't have Elmo colored hair I would be harder to spot, scowling on the corner about the Starbucks.

And before E2 comments about the "happy school me", I do cheerfully say hello to everyone in the hallways . . . she just doesn't get to see this. I even know all of their names, because I'm the yearbook lady.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"...cheerfully say hello to everyone..." Definately something worth commenting on. I only really question the everyone part. I think you should hide in one of your cool hats when you are in public. The kids will never look for your hair under one of those. :)

iamthanu said...

I do cheerfully say hello to everyone . . . even those who will not cheerfully say hello to me.

I thought about the hats but the hair always sneaks out. Yeah, I know, like it would matter with the hat . . . the fedora, the fuzzy kitty hat, the pork pie. The plain wool one I knit this Xmas might work but it itches.