Friday, July 28, 2006

Diamonds Are a Girl's Best Friend

I lost my diamond ring today.

I was driving my truck and noticed it was gone. More accurately, I was driving my truck, talking on the phone and fiddling with the radio (because I am a menace to society) when I realized that there was nothing to spin on my finger. My thumb reached for my ring finger and there was nothing there. Ring not on . . . must not panic.

My first thought is that it had fallen off and must be in the truck somewhere . . . but I couldn't look for it, because let's face it, that would be too much multi-tasking for driving. I do have limits.

I then realized that it couldn't fall off, so it I must have put it somewhere. Perhaps in my persistent hand washing. So I did what I needed to do for the day. Put it out of my mind. Figured I would find it, even if it was lying in the driveway. I could always buy a new ring. Not very cost effective, but better than the ulcer. Plus I couldn't go home and look for it.

When I arrived home, I found it sitting next to my computer, where I usually "lose" my watch because it annoys me when I type and I take it off. Must have done the same thing with the ring this afternoon. It's not a great diamond. Women compliment other things but not the ring (which I wear on my right hand, though it probably confuses the boys anyhow) (and it was pointed out today that women do not usually compliment other women . . . so maybe I really am picking them up). But it's my diamond . . . and I'm glad it's not lost.

No comments: