Wednesday, July 26, 2006

No Good Can Come From Watching Oprah

We all know that I don't have a whole lot to do . . . so when Channel 7 advertises that Oprah is having a "What Not to Wear" episode . . . well, I might as well sit down and watch it.

Most of the episode revolved around the idea of getting the right size underwear. They brought out the brafitter to The Queen for some reason and she sat on the couch and lectured about cup size in a charming British accent. There were before and after makeovers. There admonishments about dark jeans. It was like listening to Princess . . . if Princess had a television studio in Chicago and a 300 person audience.

So today, while shopping, I decided to take the bra ladies advice . . . the problem being, if I take the lady's advice, I am a 36G. They don't make that size. Well, they do, but you have to go to a special store and it only comes in one style and color. So I tried the next best thing . . . 36DDD, which they only make one of for each store. So if you are not the first 36DDD person to show up at Macy's, forget it. Also, if you find the one in that size, it's going to be at least $55. Welcome to the idea of economic inelasticity. So maybe I'm just not going to believe the British bra lady, although to her credit, it did feel better.

I also bought a dress (again, in the juniors department) following the "What Not to Wear" ladies' advice (the British ones, not Stacey and Clinton) . . . so if I look awful, it's all Oprah's fault. Thank God there was no make-up involved or I could have spent all sorts of money.

No comments: