Sunday, July 09, 2006

For 9 Bucks, I Could Wear Them Once and . . .

Instead of cutting down the mass of foliage that is making my driveway look "Clampet"-y, yesterday I went shopping. The original goal of the shopping? My friend's birthday was on the fifth . . . and we all forgot. Now it's not unusual for me to forget . . . I ignore birthdays, including my own . . . but everyone forgot. So I went in search of something cute.

I went to downtown Berkley. Not a good idea, as it turns out that they are redoing Twelve Mile (again?) and all of the business owners decided to close until the 10th. The entire city of Berkley is on vaca until then . . . if I had known I would have left town . . . or started a burglary ring.

So I went to Ferndale, which keeps promising to be more "fabulous" than the last time you were there. Yeah, RB does some work with the downtown development people . . . so it's not any more "fabulous" than before, except maybe that you can eat there now. (yes, I'm saying that there was/is some false advertising) Still the same strange dollar stores, an few more arty stores . . . a lot more homeless than I remember . . . unless they were just loitering Ferndale residents that had homeless outfits on (with a good dose of the "I'm obviously mentally ill" look). Found only one store that I would go back to and bought nothing, not even at the Old Navy outlet. But suddenly more restaurants than you would want to shake a stick at . . . and most are upscale. (Yes, I would like my $10 a la carte salad on the patio so I can watch that half naked man yell about Jesus while I'm chewing on my watercress. But we would like to have our entree inside. Thank you.)

Before you get all uppity about my comments on the homeless . . . remember that I am commenting on the swanky restaurants that are eventually going to round them all up and relocate them to south of 8 Mile, if the "Downtown Development" organization doesn't do it first, right after they install that electrified fence on the border.

Depressed that I didn't find anything good from my local merchants, I then did what I do when I'm depressed . . . I went to Target. Thought about purchasing an $8 tube top (he,he, what would I do with a tube top?) but it didn't come in any colors and I've been told I can't purchase any more black. Bought a silly CD instead (Panic at the Disco . . . yep, me and the fourteen year old girls). Went to Kohl's and found some jeans in the juniors section . . . that's right, I said juniors section . . . and tried them on for giggles because they were $9. And I had to go get a smaller size. So Levi's jeans for $9. For that price, I'll wear them once (wearing them right now, as a matter of fact) and throw them away. I've been known to spend more than $9 on lunch.

Still have to find something for M2 for her birthday. I'm thinking slang flashcards. Maybe with some sparkly barrettes. That girl needs more sparkly barrettes.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You can wear the $9 pants while you cut down the vines and brush---especially if you look like Ellie Mae in them! If not, oh well, the foliage, once gone, will loose the Clampety anyway....

Anonymous said...

I bought you a lobster.
-MN

iamthanu said...

Well thank you . . . you know how I love lobsters. Just to put on my head though, not to eat.