Saturday, July 01, 2006

The Double-Edged Sword of Sex and the City

In one way, I find watching "Sex in the City" comforting. It's a show about dating . . . and therefore, a show about breaking up . . . or not dating . . . or just the hassle of relationships.

And I'm okay that we used to watch it together . . . partially because I watched it before and partially because a guy who admits that he loves "Sex in the City" . . . the edited version without the nudity . . . well, there's a little suspicion there.

But last night, with my mojito in hand, I watched Carrie break up with Big for the second time . . . okay, I can totally relate . . . but then Big shows up at her apartment. Big comes back. To her credit, Carrie then breaks up with Big again. But only after they shag. And remembering the series, she ends up with Big in the end. That didn't help. In fact, they all end up with someone in the end. And right now that isn't helping at all.

And I know it's just a show and they had to end it that way, or we'd all throw a fit. And I suppose I could just shoot for the younger man like Samantha. But when Carrie broke up with Big, well, in real life they don't come back knocking on your apartment door.

No comments: