Saturday, July 08, 2006

The End of An Era

I cancelled my matchdotcom subscription today . . . it used to be $12 a month of amusement but it's not as entertaining anymore.

I started this blog when I started eharmony. Kept at it when I got kicked off of eharmony. Meant it as a record of the silliness of internet dating and it became a record of my life . . . which is really just silliness also. M1 will be disappointed at my giving up "the year of 'yes'" early but I just can't do it anymore. Not for a while. I can't look through 50 pages of the same guys who were there last August. I tire of email flirting. I'm tired of terrible pictures . . . of guys who say they're 36 when they are obviously in their 50s . . . of guys who put their kids' pictures on their profiles . . . tired of guys who spell "does", "dors" . . .

I've dated two men that seemed reasonable in print . . . one I could even handle in person everyday . . . who turned out to be so unreasonable, that I don't talk to them anymore . . . so perhaps my first entry in this blog is true.

Yes, I want to "share my life with someone" as sappy as that sounds. RB made me even more sure about that. Yes, I really want to have kids with someone. I just can't matchdotcom anymore. I know it took Princess' friend four years . . . but I'm exhausted.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is going to be ok:) You have your fabulous girlfriends who are most fun. Remember, the girls from Sex and the City didn't hook up until almost forty. We have a lot of time! So (my favorite line), buck up little camper, better days are sure to come.
- Princess

iamthanu said...

Nothing to buck up about . . . just a statement of fact. I am tired . . . exhausted by the looking. I won't be tired forever but it is frustrating that I feel this way during summer . . . when I actually have time to look (and to date).

As for the time thing, being a realist, I don't have all that much time. You have to date someone a long a$$ time to figure out if they're psycho or not (well, with my track record, it's about two months, but still) and then you don't really want to get pregnant on your wedding day. I don't want to be 60 when my kid is getting their drivers' license.

If the kid thing doesn't happen, it doesn't happen . . . if the old maid thing happens, it happens. I can accept that. But I'm not going to fool myself into saying I have lots of time.