Sunday, July 02, 2006

Girlie-ness and the Art of Truck Maintenance

Having just completed an oil change on my truck (I am usually the assistant but Mr. CP had his accident and it's hard for him to make level changes), I now realize why chicks don't do car maintenance. There are too many nail breaking opportunities. And the oil, it's hard to get off your rings (just kidding, I didn't wear the diamond to change the oil).

I almost broke a nail on some pliers (to clean the mouse nest out of my frame . . . don't worry, next entry . . . with pictures!). I almost broke a nail putting the "green box" of wrenches away (special socket set . . . been in a metal green box for as long as I can remember . . . probably older than I am). I got hot dirty oil all over my manicure. It was icky.

Keep in mind that I come from a family that required you to be able to change your own oil before you could drive . . . so I have changed my oil before, once or twice. It's just that my father usually gets frustrated because I'm "not doing it right" or I'm too slow and then he just does it for me while I hand him the wrenches. I'm good at handing wrenches. I'm good at knowing how to change my own oil in theory.

Today I got under the truck and did it myself, while my father complained. At one point, while screaming obscenities at the oil filter (because it was f-ing hot), my father decided to critique and I just glared at him and said "SHHHHH" and then went back to swearing . . . because oil was dripping from some thingy they put in the way (almost on my head).

And while you are under there, you only find problems . . . like the mouse house in my frame. But I didn't drive the truck over the ramps (I have previously) and the oil is changed . . . and I probably got the filter "hand tight" enough that it won't leak. Probably.

Oh, and that soap "they" use . . . the stuff you use without water? To get the oil off your hands . . . it smells like a$$.

No comments: