Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Homecoming Dress

It is almost time to shop for homecoming.

Every year, that magical time on Saturday, where I plaicate my dread and horror about going to another homecoming dance by buying a new dress. This year there is so much dread and horror that the shopping may have to involve shoes.

It is very hard to find a homecoming dress that fits well and is attractive . . . ask any girl. It is even harder to find an "adult" homecoming dress that doesn't make you look like a dork . . . or worse yet, a dorky teacher. It's bad enough that I have to listen to three hours of horrible music and have to act shocked and say "Leave room for Jesus!" about 586 times. One year it was ultra-bad and I had to carry a camera AND a walkie-talkie. I want no part of the walkie-talkies. If I have to do all that and look dorky . . . well . . .

Although I love the hunt, finding the dress is hard. Any cleavage is out . . . don't want too much leg either. Certainly don't want anything that remotely resembles what the kids are wearing. I usually go with black (well, duh) and sometimes a suit. Oh, and I don't want to spend more than $100, not including the shoes of course. So that will be my Saturday afternoon. So that I can bear spending my Saturday evening in a large echo-y gym surrounded by sweaty teenagers, who frankly need to not dance that way, avoiding anyone in charge, in case they figure out they don't have enough chaperones and want me to do something official, like watch a bathroom . . .

You should be proud of me for only wanting a new dress. (And maybe a lobotomy)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey bloggerrooo...me thinks that looking after a bunch of kids for an evening would be a challenge...but I have never done it and sounds like it is wearing thin...hope you have enough fun looking for the shoes to make up for the drudgery...tom

Anonymous said...

Get wicked cool shoes--but comfy. Looks better when you can walk.