Tuesday, October 03, 2006

So Doesn't Know What He is in For . . .

Z.'s birthday is coming up. Soon. And I was weighing several gift options in my head. I am the "cool" aunt, with no commitments or children of my own, so I like to get good gifts. Last Christmas was the skateboard and the Gameboy. The skateboard is not used and there is no interest (you gotta strike out sometimes) but the Gameboy, well . . . you could have just wired it into his brain. He would have been fine with that.

I like to get my brother's approval on the gift, as he will eventually be in charge of the care, maintanence and discipline of whatever I purchase. So I call up on Saturday to run the choices by him . . . cell phone (the kid kind), heelies (I see them everywhere), or ipod shuffle. D. confers with Z. and gives me the thumbs up for whatever I choose. All are cool.

On the trip to K-zoo, my mother askes if I have heard what has happened to the Gameboy. The Gameboy is on almost continual suspension, as it is a good carrot, so I just figured he had gotten it taken away AGAIN. Nope. Broken. He got mad and punched it . . . breaking the screen off. Hmmmm.

Well, I can't buy expensive presents for a boy that intentionally breaks things. I'm not that cool an aunt. So socks and underwear it is . . . and not cool SpongeBob underwear. Regular white underwear. And white socks. And math workbooks. I have Halloween Mad Libs in my gift drawer for him and I think they may even be too fun. I'll have to save them. I'm going to think of every lame gift my grandmother sent my brothers and use that for the model. Soap on a Rope. A bath robe. Some long underwear, with dinosaurs on them (so babyish). It's a bummer, I really wanted to shop for an ipod. And I'm so intrigued with the Heelies.

Oh well, maybe next year. (No, he's not allowed on the internet, so he can't read this)

No comments: